August 19, 2020. The entry of international travelers has been authorized since August 1 at Costa Rica’s three international airports: Juan Santamaría International Airport, Daniel Oduber Quirós Airport, and Tobías Bolaños Airport.
The authorized regions or countries are reviewed periodically. The list in effect as of August 19 is as follows:
- THE EUROPEAN UNION, SCHENGEN ZONE, AND THE UNITED KINGDOM: for flights from the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom, for citizens and residents of the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom.
- CANADA: for flights from Canada for citizens and residents of Canada and for citizens and residents of the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom.
- SOUTH AMERICA: for flights from Uruguay for citizens and residents of Uruguay.
- ASIA: for flights from Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, and the People’s Republic of China for citizens and residents of Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, and the People’s Republic of China.
- OCEANIA: for flights from Australia and New Zealand for citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand.
- As of September 1: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Residents of six states): New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Connecticut.
Requirements to enter Costa Rica:
- Complete the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS form, available at https://salud.go.cr.
- RT-PCR diagnostic test with a negative result; the sample must have been taken within 48 hours of travel to Costa Rica.
- Passengers coming from the United States of America must prove through their driver’s license that they live in one of the six authorized states.
- Traveler’s Medical Insurance – international or purchased in Costa Rica.
Local insurance policies authorized for travelers are currently available through the National Insurance Institute (INS – Instituto Nacional de Seguros) www.grupoins.com/seguroparaviajeros and by insurance company Sagicor www.sagicor.cr/seguro_para_turistas/.
For international insurance policies, tourists must request a certification from their insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying at least three conditions:
- Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
- Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 disease while in Costa Rica, for at least USD $50,000 (fifty thousand United States Dollars).
- Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses issues due to the pandemic.
Passengers who fail to comply with these requirements may not enter the country.
Upon landing in Costa Rican territory, travelers must wear face protection and comply with the strict protocols of the air terminal with regard to physical distancing, disinfection of carpets, taking temperature readings, and must follow any other sanitary instructions.
Opening to Private Flights
As of September 1, private flights from the United States will also be allowed to enter Costa Rica, given that their size and nature means they present a much lower epidemiological risk.
The same requirements as set forth above, shall be applicable to persons on private flights. In the event that they come from a state or country that is not authorized, they shall be subject to an exception procedure and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Gradual Maritime Opening
In compliance with the same entry requirements required by Costa Rica since last August 1, private yachts may also enter the country as of September 1. If passengers do not carry a negative PCR test, or if they sailed from a city or port that has not been authorized to date, they will receive a health quarantine order, which will discount the number of days on the high seas, counting from the last port departure date recorded in the yacht’s log.
Where can I find updated official information on the situation of COVID-19 in Costa Rica?
You can stay informed at the following links:
Ministry of Health:
Costa Rica Tourism Board (ICT):
Presidency of the Republic:
Juan Santamaría International Airport:
Daniel Oduber International Airport (Liberia International Airport):